A report by Pew Internet shows technology usage by American adults (seniors) aged 65 and over. A sample of 1,500 adults aged 65 and over took part.
Top level statistics include:
- 59% of seniors go online and the other 41% do not go online at all
- Among seniors who use the internet, 71% go online every day
- 77% of seniors have a mobile phone
- Internet usage drops off dramatically from the age of 75 onwards
- 2 in 5 seniors have physical conditions or health issues that make it difficult to use new technologies
- 77% of seniors would need someone to help them learn to use tech such as smart phones and tablets
- Seniors are more likely to own a tablet or e-reader than a smartphone
- 46% of online seniors use social networking sites such as Facebook but only 6% use Twitter
- 81% of older adults who use social networking sites say that they socialise with others
You can see the full report over at Pew Internet.